Wednesday, May 6, 2009

POW: Abominable
















Karl Kerschl's
The ABOMINABLE
Charles Christopher!


This is going to be a bit of change from the norm because this POW is about a Web Comic, but fuck it, it's my AweomeBlog if you don't like it go home...

The Abominable Charles Christopher is a web comic by Karl Kerschl (Teen Titans:Year One)... hang on... honestly this blog may end up being equal parts a recommendation for The Abominable Charles Christopher and for the amazing beauty and versatility of Karl Kerschl's art.
The Abominable Charles Christopher is beautiful, plain an simple. Not just the art but the pacing, plot and overall tone. I could best describe it as Bone meets Mouse Guard, although that comparison really doesn't do it justice.

TACC follows Charles, a Sasquatch, as he wanders thru the forest encountering a wild cast of supporting characters including: a bear named Vivol who is a former circus performer, a drunken bird with marriage problems, a surly crab, and an ominous flock of crows. All in all its very hard to finds words that can encompass the entire plot, except to say that TACC's plot is as inventive and interesting as the art is beautiful.

That brings me to Karl Kerschl an artist that I have really began to obsess over. His art is amazingly versatile. If one were to put the interiors of Teen Titans: Year One next to the cover's he has done of Superman, side by side with art from TACC, you would see a stunningly eclectic, yet consistent body of work. The life and energy that is conveyed in his art is truly unreal. As is his ability to alter his style from project to project. I am somewhat astounded that I haven't seen him anywhere, or that Marvel hasn't scooped him up into an exclusive deal.

As a fan I hope he begins to work more in the comics industry and I will continue to love the Abominable Charles Christopher. As an aspiring writer, I hope I can one day work with him because he truly amazes me.

-Thats all folks.




No comments:

Post a Comment