Thursday, March 26, 2009

POW! X-Force!

I realized that I write this blog daily, I have aspirations to publish my own independent comics and to write mainstream comics, but I have never really talked comics here. So I think periodically I am going to discuss comics I really enjoy.

I won't talk Trades or Graphic Novels (at least not yet.), being that I am a big proponent of episodic story telling (though a $3.99 a pop I can tell why some people are moving towards only buying trades.) In any event, just to be clear, this is not a review, this is a recommendation.

I fancy comics of all types and read both Marvel and DC, but today will be...




X-FORCE EDITION!


X-Force is my favorite Marvel Comic at the moment. Gone are the days of Giant Guns and pouches as far as the eye can see.

Chris Yost and Craig Kyle (New X-Men, Target X) put together an eclectic team that includes: Archangel, Domino, Elixir, Warpath , Wolfsbane, Wolverine (of course), X-23 and an updated and uncooperative Vanisher. And, unlike most X-comics, and X-movies, and X-cartoons, this isn't Wolverine and X-force, it's surprisingly balanced. Each team member is neither over exposed, nor pushed to the background. Also, characters (that I considered stale and irrelevant) like Domino, Archangel, and Vanisher are revitalized and redesigned (Vanisher... yes VANISHER, has become one of my favorite characters in the series).

Furthermore X-Force is immersive, Kyle and Yost create a world where mutant prejudice is palpable. As you read this title, you truly feel that a proactive black-ops X-team is not just an acceptable measure, its a completely necessary one.

Another reason why I love this book is despite the teams black-ops license-to-kill MO, and the ever present guilt, pressure, and consequence associated with their work, X-Force still features a lot of humor. Vanisher and Elixir are hilarious, and even X-23 has her moments.

Also, whether it's Clayton Crain or Mike Choi, the art is literally breath taking. I am not usually one to geek out over art, but I am blown away by each issue.

Finally, Elixir is in X-Force. Elixir and X-23 are characters that Kyle and Yost wrote on New X-Men (do yourself a favor and pick up all five trades of Childhood's End), aside from Anole, Elixir was my FAVORITE character in New X-Men. He is a deeply complex character (who may warrant a blog post all to himself) who adds an innocence and a heart to an otherwise cold stolid team. Needless to say, he is figuratively and literally the teams golden-boy and he's THE SHIT!

X-Force is a comic I look forward to each month, and that's something I never thought I'd ever say. This new-aesthetic and tone associated with the team has made it one of the most interesting and exciting comics I read. The art is ALWAYS amazing, and Kyle and Yost's stories are as fun and profound as they are action-packed. I guarantee if you give it a shot you'll enjoy it.

And that my friends is my first Blogged recommendation (Grandma I better see an issue of X-Force at your house next time I'm there!)
Check it out!
X-FORCE #13 - In Stores Now!
X-FORCE #14 - On-Sale April 22!


-"Dude, They made GHOST RIDER seem cool...."


3 comments:

  1. For the first time in a loooooooonnnnggg time (2-3 years) I went to get some comics (at JC) and picked up a one shot Hellboy and the latest (I think) Mouse Guard. It was a good feeling. I think, now that I have some income, I will try to make it more of a habit again, but I don't wanna go too crazy.


    Either way, your comic recommendations are always the best so I am indeed interested in this now. Keep these articles up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that sounds amazing. Not only did that post not contain the world "cable" at any point, but you also mentioned the lack of giant guns. FTW, surely.

    I still have an issue or two from the early 90s, and its so ridiculous. Every page is just cable killing everything.

    ReplyDelete