Friday, April 10, 2009

The Homeless Hero

My mother is a social-worker, and has a fierce passion for providing care and support to the needy and under-privileged. Her unflappable zeal and dedication to that cause, at times, truly astounds me.

For a good part of my childhood, my mother was Director of the Inter-Faith Council, a non-for-profit organization that provided shelter and social services to homeless families in New Jersey. I have vivid memories of spending whole days in church basements and homeless shelters, playing with kids I didn't know. It's only as I got older, that I realized and understood why they were there, and what my mother did for them. I am telling you this, so you understand that I grew up in a house that takes social services, and helping the needy very seriously.

After such an serious intro, I feel foolish segueing into this topic...

D-Man (or Demolition Man) is a Marvel character that I love. Dennis Dunphy underwent a process similar to that of Operation Rebirth, the program that created Captain America, and thus has powers very similar to Caps. At one time he worked with Captain America and briefly served as an Avenger, but all in all he has mostly been a punchline. He has become a hapless, homeless hero who protects Zero Town, an underground community of homeless people in NYC.

I first read about D-Man in Busiek and Perez's Heroes Return Avengers, in which Dennis responds to a call for all Avengers after Morgan Le Fey attacks them. He is a very minor part in the series, but it was a profound appearance that resonated with me. It was important to me for two reasons: first, its shows a room full of "heroes" reacting to a homeless man with disgust and disapproval. This was a profound statement, to me at least, that speaks to America's opinion of homelessness.

Second, Kurt Busiek shows numerous times that despite his appearances and demeanor Dennis is truly a hero and that heroism comes in many forms. At the end of the story arc, there is a scene where Jarvis, the Avenger's British Butler, sees off D-Man having given him some groceries to bring back to Zero Town. As he leaves D-Man explains, that where he comes from showers and appearances are the least of peoples worries. I always thought that it was a very sad, but real scene. He knew that he smelled, and what he looked like. Despite embarrassment and insecurity, he still answered the call and helps to defeat Morgan Le Fey.

Perhaps I am reading too much into a minor appearance, but since that time I have always, ALWAYS, loved D-Man. I think he's interesting on so many levels. He is very flawed, but he found this niche where he still can be a hero, and still help people who truly need it. He, in many ways, needs Zero Town as much as it needs him.

I have discussed with Rich how, I would ways love to write an Avengers arc that featured D-Man. Something would bring the Avengers to Zero Town, and the heroes would all act surprised, and upset at the sight of this needy and neglected community, Captain America especially.

Throughout the story, D-Man would be extremely hostile and short with the Avengers. At times seeming jealous or angry that they are there. When Cap finally confronts him he would say:

"You come here and act surprised, act appalled, that this could happen in "your" country. That people really live like this. You look me in the eyes and you tell me you never knew. Fuck you Steve, you've known. You all've known. But its only now when its right in font of you, when its impossible to ignore, that suddenly you care. Suddenly homelessness in America, and Zero Town, is your new priority.

You say it, and you believe it, buts whats worse is they believe it. They think your here for them. That you're here to help. But you and I know the minute you and your friends find what you are looking for you'll leave. You'll forget about this place.

This isn't... it's never been an ego thing Steve, I don't need you, not anymore. And I'm used to you forgetting about me. But
they aren't.

Don't you understand? The minute you guys got here, you gave these people something they could never keep! You can't give these people Captain America, and the Avengers, and then take it away. These kids are going to go to bed with you watching over them and they'll wake up with just... with just D-Man.

And I... I can't protect them from that. So while I appreciate the intent, a few days of attention will never make up for a lifetime of neglect.

So do me a favor, when you do leave... don't come back
"

A D-Man comic is something I truly hope I get to write. I think he's such an amazing character, and I really wanted to share him, and my ideas. Sorry if this post was cheesy or boring.

-There's a secret mission, in uncharted space!

No comments:

Post a Comment